As a street captain:
- Your main job is to get info to people on your street.
- Create a street email distribution list. Forward Kay Stephenson’s safety reports.
- Start by putting a flyer in everyone’s mailbox asking for their email address—or knock on doors and introduce yourself. Could have your driver’s license to verify you really do live on the street.
- Create a directory and hand it out. Not just for public safety. What if a tree falls on their house while out of town? Or a pet gets out. Or an alarm goes off.
- If an elderly person doesn’t have email, ask their next-door neighbor to hand them info.
- Have a street gathering—get different people to host it each time. One time on a Saturday, next time weekday evening. Streetwide yard sale brings people together—very little work. Just let everyone know where and when and they bring their stuff.
- If there is a shop on your street, include them and their employees on your distribution list.